Sunday 16 October 2011

The Anticipation, Frustration - and then the Joy!

No, don't worry! I'm not about to pen the next Mills and Boone epic piece of romantic fiction. I'm going to share the mixed emotions I've experienced over the last few days after purchasing an Apple iPad 2!

Firstly, the anticipation. I've been lusting over the iPad for months. Every time I've watched television or opened a magazine, a shiny black iPad has been beckoning me to buy one. Every time I went to PC World to buy printer toner, I was automatically drawn across the shop to the Apple counter to ogle the demonstration models. And then some weeks ago I attended a Social Media Surgery where I saw a couple of them in action. Oh, yes, I wanted one  - but could I justify it?

Well, last week I decided I was worth it! Why couldn't Christmas come a little early this year? So off I went to Hanley and came back with the object of my desires all wrapped up in it's beautiful little box. And that's when the frustration set in. No instructions - nothing. Now I've been using computers for years. I'm self taught and only know the basics - but could I get the damn thing to work on wifi? No. Assuming it was a fault on my home wifi network, I took it off to town and sat in Costa Coffee and Wetherspoons both of whom have free wifi networks. No, still no connection. So I then start to search the web to find out if I was alone. Wow, just type  'iPad wifi problems' into Google and see what you get! Thousands of people experiencing the same problem. And as far as I could see no-one with a solution.

In the end I gave up and packed the useless bit of kit in my bag when we set off for a week's holiday in Dartmouth. Jan's daughter is expecting her first baby in seven weeks so we took the opportunity to pop down for a few day's break. Alison's husband Richard is a bit of a whiz with all things technical so when I mentioned my problems, he asked if he could help. Well, five minutes later I had an all singing all dancing iPad in my hands! What joy! Oh what an amazing piece of kit! How could I possibly have cussed and blinded at it?

So there you have it. Don't let my problems put you off getting an iPad. I'm now delighted with mine and will be using it every day. But why can't Apple provide a simple booklet of instructions for idiots like me? After all, we've spent a bucket load of cash to buy the thing in the first place.

No comments: