Monday 5 March 2012

A Despicable Act of Meanness


I left the world of town politics behind me last May when I decided not to stand again as a candidate in the Town and Borough Council elections. And I have to say I haven’t regretted my decision at all. In fact looking back over my eight years of involvement with the Town Council I now realise that whatever we achieved was done at no small cost to my private life, my health and my temper!

So, since last May, I have regained a lifestyle I am now thoroughly enjoying; attained a normal blood pressure and have rediscovered my former placid approach to life!

But just occasionally something happens to make me see red again. And it happened this weekend!
Now before I start, let me declare an interest. When Stafford Borough Council withdrew their support from Stone in Bloom five years ago, I and several others were adamant that Stone in Bloom would not be allowed to die. We formed an independent group of volunteers to carry on with SIB and I was delighted to be part of the group that then went on to win Gold Awards in the next three consecutive years. I then retired from In Bloom but have always followed their progress with great interest.  And it has been to their great credit that last year Stone in Bloom won Gold again and, for the first time in history, were put through to the National competition this year! Yes, through to the National competition!  Competing against the likes of Belper, Chichester,Coleraine,Dumphries, Huntingdon, Rhyl and Truro - some of the biggest names in 'In Bloom' across the country. How’s that for putting Stone on the map?

So SIB has been working non stop to ensure that Stone’s entry this year will do the town credit on the national stage. Planting trees, planting bulbs, renovating the flower bed in Granville Square, work parties out almost every week, etc, etc. – all in their own time. And of course they can’t do that without funding. They’ve done a massive amount of fund raising themselves (indeed they were out in town on Saturday at the Farmers’ Market selling SIB merchandise) But the competing towns will almost all have massive local authority funding. Tens of thousands of pounds will be allocated to some of the entrants by their local authorities. So Stone in Bloom submitted an application to Stone Town Council for a grant of £2000. A perfectly reasonable request for a modest amount to assist this year’s entry in a competition of national importance.

Last week the Town Council committee responsible for grants considered the application and decided they could only recommend a grant of £1500! Of course we are living in times of austerity and of course there will be competing demands for available funds. But what sort of a message is this? Surely the Town Council should embrace the opportunity to fully support a great group of volunteers who are giving up so much of their time and effort to enable Stone to compete nationally and to promote this fantastic town of ours. Stone in Bloom has always punched well above its weight but the Town Council now seem intent on tying one of their hands behind their back.

This year is a very special and unique year for Stone in Bloom – entrants in the national competition. And a penny pinching Town Council has failed to give them the full support they need. Shameful.

No comments: