Tuesday 12 July 2011

First jazz night at the Royal Exchange

I'm reserving judgment. Last night, Stone Jazz club met for the first time in the Royal Exchange following the closure of the Vine. As I suspected, the band was squeezed into the top corner leaving room for only about fifteen people in the remaining seats. Then the rest of us were relegated to standing around the bar areas or sitting in the front bay window not able to hear the music.

Perhaps I was a bit grumpy to start with (but that's another story) but I have serious doubts about the Exchange's suitability. It's a great pub with superb ale but it's not, in my opinion, a suitable venue for live music.

But I'll give it a good try and see if my initial impressions are valid.

Anyway despite the above, Archie Cotterill was in great form as usual!

No comments: