Thursday 1 December 2011

You always remember where you were when......

It's a fact that if you are old enough you will always remember where you were when President Kennedy was assasinated (I was in my bedroom studying for my finals) or when Elvis Presley died (we were on holiday in Cornwall).  And most people remember when 9/11 occurred. Well, yesterday I was able to add another memorable event to the list - the moment we heard the news that Janet's daughter, Alison, had given birth to our sixth grandchild! We were in Cadbury World!

I think Jan had almost given up hope of either of her two daughters bestowing grandchildren upon us. Alison married a few years ago and seemed to be quite content to approach the ripe old age of forty rowing gigs on the River Dart and working in Richard's business. But then we received the fantastic news earlier in the year that she was 'with child'!

Well, yesterday, we took two of my daughter's children, Ellie and Will, out for the day because their school had closed due to the strike. We were halfway around the Cadbury World tour when Jan looked at a message on her phone and I immediately saw the most wonderful smile spread across her face! She passed the phone to me to show me the text message - Ali was in labour! Within the hour, another message that it was a baby boy! And Jan has never stopped smiling since!

A wonderful day with two of our grandchildren was made even more memorable by the wonders of text messaging announcing the birth of another! Truly, a day to remember!

No comments: