Saturday 25 February 2012

Birds galore

It started over breakfast. I was just beginning to enjoy my bacon, tomatoes, mushroom and poached egg (it was a red day on my diet!) when I became conscious of the fact that I was being watched. I glanced to my right and there, staring at me from one foot on the other side of the patio window was a most handsome cock Pheasant! I don't know who was the most surprised - him or me! He blinked and then strutted across the patio into the border and then made his way into next door's garden. So another first!

Which got me to thinking that our bird feeders and table were looking at bit grubby. So I spent a while taking them down, emptying them, washing them and then refilling them all with fresh nuts, seed and fat balls. Back up they all went and I retired to the kitchen to make a well earned cup of tea. Five minutes later I sat down at the kitchen table and looked out onto the garden and couldn't believe my eyes! I'm not sure how birds communicate with other but somehow the word had got round and every bird in the neighbourhood was in our garden enjoying the feast I'd just prepared for them. I'm delighted to report that the Blackcap I mentioned a few days ago is still with us and the Great Spotted Woodpecker was busy dominating one of the nut holders.

Tomorrow I'm going to see what needs doing to make sure the nest boxes are clean and in good shape for the coming season. It would be wonderful if we could become home to a few broods of of our feathered friends!

No comments: