Thursday 23 February 2012

So which was best?

This week I've had the pleasure of eating in the sister restaurants - The Wayfarer and the Swan with Two Necks. On Tuesday there was a Food and Drink Festival working lunch with one of our sponsors. At one o'clock the restaurant was over two thirds full and everyone seemed to be enjoying their meals. I love The Wayfarer and am delighted it is continuing to do so well. We've dined here in the evenings before but this was my first time for lunch. The lunch menu is  most unusual and brings a totally different meaning to the word 'baguette'! I thoroughly recommend the crispy battered haddock variety!

Then last night Jan and I went over to the Swan with Two Necks. An almost full car park was the clue to the fact that they were busy. However that in no way diminished the wonderful experience we had. Initially we were shown to a table in a rather dim corner. Whilst in our younger days a table for two away from the crowd lit by a flickering candle may have had its attractions, at our age the eyes are slowly letting us down! We  need to be able to read the menu and see what we're eating! With no trouble at all, we were moved to another table and then spent a most enjoyable evening eating some outstanding food. I had the grilled mackerel starter (well cooked, firm and very tasty) followed by the belly pork main dish. Wow!

So of the two venues, do I have a favourite? No. They're both great restaurants serving great food at reasonable prices. But above all, it is so obvious that the management takes customer service seriously in both venues. All the staff were efficient and knowledgeable - and so friendly. These restaurants are an asset to this area. If you haven't been yet, then I can recommend them both. You won't be disappointed.

And my diet? Well, last weekend I totted up a weight loss of one and half stones since New Year's Day but I think I'll stay off the scales for a few days now!

No comments: