Wednesday 2 May 2012

A gallant effort! But more work will be needed.

The graffiti issue moves on a pace! Immediately after I posted my last comments on Monday, Twitter was alive with tweeps as to whether we should publish pictures of the graffiti or not. A good debate and I hope I haven't upset Jamie at A Little Bit of Stone too much. I think he thought that I was having a go at him - I definitely was not! His site is superb and I would not say or do anything to diminish his efforts.

The volunteers in Newcastle Street
Indeed, thanks to A Little Bit of Stone's coverage of the issue, a community action team was organised by Christ Church youth and community worker Kieron  McKnight this morning to try and remove the graffiti. Requests for help from Stafford Borough Council and Network Rail (who are responsible for the bridge) apparently met with some rather unhelpful responses. So local residents turned up at 10 o'clock and set to work. Unfortunately, household bleach, oven cleaner and white spirits were only partially successful and more work will have to be done to completely remove it all.

But the great news is that enquiries have discovered a company that supplies a special solvent which can be safely used by volunteers. And the search is now on to find a mobile pressure washer. An anonymous donor has made a payment to cover the cost of the solvent! I understand that there will also be collections in some local pubs over the next few days to raise funds to ensure that these fantastic volunteers have the right tools to complete the job.

I understand that there may be another 'volunteers session' this weekend. (I'll post more details when I know them) In the meantime if you know someone with a portable jet washer please let the organisers know via A Little Bit of Stone. And if someone asks for a donation in your local pub, please put your hand in your pocket. And if you're doing nothing when the next cleanup is organised come along and give a hand.

Well done to all for today! Together we can solve this problem

4 comments:

Jamie said...

Hi Richard. Thanks for your kind words about A Little Bit of Stone. I honestly didn't take anything you'd said as a criticism in the slightest. Your recent blog post raised a really interesting question and it was good to have the debate!! Jamie

Jon said...

How long is the pressure washer required for and does it need to be a particular type?

Anonymous said...

Hi Richard, the bridge is actually owned by Staffordshire County Council. I also believe they have some reservations about people using such chemicals and pressure washers on highway grounds without full planning and supervision. Maybe it's worth speaking to the Bridges department to discuss how to go about it etc.

RICHARD STEVENS said...

Jamie, Thanks!
Jon, I think you've now heard that Kieron has managed to get the use of a pressure washer. Thanks.
Anonymous, Thanks for your comments. Valid points but I suspect anger and enthusiasm will solve the problem before anyone from 'offialdom' thinks of getting round to doing somrething!