Wednesday 29 June 2011

Converted to the caravan mover!

Several years ago on a caravanning holiday I had the shock of my life. Looking out of the window I saw a runaway caravan! It was going along the road in front of our van with no car attached and no one pushing or pulling it! But then into view walked a chap holding a zapper in his hand! I was looking at one of the first caravan movers in action! A battery operated radio controlled gizmo that moves the caravan at minimum effort.

Well, ever since, I've decried them. Pure laziness! Waste of money! Can't they reverse a caravan into a pitch?

And then we decided to store our van on the drive. This involved reversing up from the road and down the narrow drive alongside the house. After doing it several times this year and on occasions getting into a right pickle, I finally had to concede that a caravan mover would solve all the problems!
So those lovely people at Stafford Caravan Repairs fitted one for me and this weekend was the first proper test. We spent a fantastic weekend at Cromer on a very full site. The pitch was a bit tight which would have put my reversing skills severely to the test. But the mover enabled me to unhitch and glide the van onto the pitch -  inch perfect! Hitching up to come home was a doddle - placing the hitch right over the towing ball. And once home, the van just slid up the drive to be parked up until our next trip out!

Brilliant things, caravan movers! If you haven't got one on your van - get one!

No comments: