Thursday 3 November 2011

An amazing night of jazz!

There are times when I can't believe how lucky we are in Stone - and last night was one of those occasions! We'd bought tickets to go down to Granvilles to see 'Stars of British Jazz' in concert. We've seen many jazz bands in Granvilles over the years but last night's performance was truly the best.

I half expected to see a couple of old 'has beens' living on past glories teaming up with a few young aspirants who were learning the trade - bit not a bit of it. This was jazz at its best.

Just look at the names! Colin Wood on piano from Acker Bilks Paramount Jazz Band; John Benson, the larger then life double bass player from Kenny Ball's band and John Crocker on clarinet and sax from Chris Barber's band. I've seen them all in their original line ups and they've just improved with age. And then on drums - and what a solo - was Richie Burns who I've not seen before plus Simon Nelson on cornet and Graham Woodhouse on trombone, also new to me. And together - what a band! What a night!

I met a lady who I know has attended almost every jazz event at Granvilles over the last twenty five years. She expressed her view that she had just heard the best night of jazz in Granvilles ever! I had no hesitation in agreeing with her!

No comments: