Tuesday 15 November 2011

The last Post

I saw on Twitter last night that this week's edition of the Stone Post will be the last. It's owners are closing it down. I have to say I am not surprised. Freebies rely entirely on advertising revenue to survive and, in this day and age, advertising budgets are amongst the first to be cut. Add to that the fact that competition is fierce in the town with three or four other very local publications fighting for the same advertising pound and it was obvious one would have to go.

I've criticised the Post in the past for its sloppy and lazy journalism and for its fixation with 'knocking copy'. But, having said that, it did make a good attempt to cover more local issues than its main, 'paid for' competitor. So I mourn the loss of The Post and have come to terms with the fact that we shall all become more reliant on websites, blogs and social media sources for our fix of local news and gossip in future.

No comments: