Friday 26 August 2011

But I'm scared of needles!

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am liable to faint at the sight of a hypodermic needle. That's why I never watch Casualty! Sometimes even talking about needles makes me feel squeamish.

So when, last week,  the physio at Stafford General Hospital suggested a course of acupuncture to ease the pain in my left shoulder, I couldn't believe that I actually uttered the words "Yes, that's fine. Anything to relieve the pain".

I've always thought acupuncture was a bit of mumbo jumbo. I know the Chinese have been using it for centuries but they make soup out of birds' nests and chew on rhinoceros horns, don't they? And when I asked Jon, the physio, he gave me a complicated answer about blocking the nerve messages to the brain and likened my shoulder pain to a crashed computer!

So I was a little apprehensive when I went for my first session today. Well, let me tell you - it works! Oh I was so brave as he stuck a dozen small needles in my shoulder and then left me alone looking like a pin cushion for half an hour. But now, a couple of hours later, I have a slightly warm feeling in the shoulder but my range of pain free movement is greatly improved.

So don't decry mumbo jumbo. Next time I'm not feeling too good, I'm off to find a witch doctor.

No comments: