Sunday 21 August 2011

Two more of Stone's unsung heroes!

I have always argued that Stone is such a marvellous place because it is full of lovely generous modest people who get their sleeves rolled up and do things without any fanfares or publicity. We have an army of unsung heroes in the town - so much so that when a very hard working lady was awarded an MBE in the last Honours List for her work with the guiding movement in town, most people outside guiding had never heard of her. And I'm sure that is the way she would want it.

Well, I'm going to blow the gaffe on another couple of unsung heroes. About eight years ago the Stone Scout Band was struggling. Numbers had dwindled to a handful and the leader was packing up. Into the breach stepped John and Margaret Wright whose son played in the band. By hard work and determination, John and Margaret have managed to build up the numbers and the standards to the point where the band has now become an integral part of the image of the town. For several years now the band has played at civic parades, festivals, events and venues in and outside the town. (I'll never forget them playing in torrential rain at one civic function a couple of years ago when they all got soaked to the skin. I felt so guilty hiding under my large umberella!)

But it's been hard work for them. I've seen John and Margaret taking items of the band's uniform into their house for Margaret to spend hours washing and ironing it. I've watched and heard several of the many weekly rehearsals that take place in the Scout hut on Westbridge Park. I've also been conscious of the continuous struggle they've had to raise funds to keep the band going - instruments and uniforms don't come cheap. And I've also admired their patience when dealing with a dozen or more typically hyper active youngsters!

Well, sadly, they have now decided to, literally, 'hand over the baton' and take a well earned rest. They deserve it. I am sure that there are many youngsters whose involvement with the band has helped them to grow up and to accept discipline, team work and a sense of belonging. Well done John and Margaret. And a very big thank you.

No comments: