Thursday 25 August 2011

Well what a surprise!

When I retired from local politics I was so relieved to be making 'a clean break'. Despite several temptations, I have not had too much difficulty in resisting the temptation to throw in my 'three penneth' whenever an issue has arisen. Indeed I have, on occasions, had a somewhat smug feeling when I've been able to  announce that I'm not in the least interested in whatever the latest 'hot issue' is.

But after opening today's Newsletter, I really can't allow the opportunity to pass by without saying something about the article announcing that Stone Town Council has been ordered to pay the costs of a public inquiry held to determine a 'frivolous' objection they raised to a Stopping Up order.

It is a scandal that certain councillors ignored legal advice given by their clerk and pursued an objection which was wholly unsustainable. This all happened before the last election when I was still a councillor, so thank goodness that in the debates I dissociated myself from those who pursued this waste of council tax. A couple of them are even quoted in today's article as still trying to justify their position. The sadness is that it will be the council tax payers of Stone, not them, who will be paying for this ill conceived piece of nonsense.

No comments: