Friday 26 August 2011

What a sad state Hanley is in.

I started my working life in Hanley in the early 60's in an office in Cheapside and spent many happy years there. Then I moved to the southern end of the city and spent most of my career in Meir and Longton. Then I retired over ten years ago. As a result I haven't really been back into the centre of Hanley for a long time. Even attending the Victoria Hall for concerts only involves a drive up Lichfield Street and a hop across the road from the car park.

Well this morning I went up to Radio Stoke to take part in the Pete's People programme at 9.00 am. I actually got there a little early so, for the first time for years, I walked around the centre. What a change - for the worse. I'm sorry but it looks as if the heart has been ripped out of the place. Run down and tatty. Few shops of any  merit. Oh how sad.

I won't be going 'up Anley duck' again out of choice, that's for sure

No comments: