Sunday 4 September 2011

Another wonderful Show

I had to do a bit of multi-tasking yesterday and despite the fact that I'm a man, I succeeded!

It was of course the first Saturday in the month, therefore it was the Farmers' Market. This involved me in a bit of 'setting up' duty. Bollards to be lifted in Mill Street, cones and Road Closed signs put in place, cones and signs at the top of the High Street and A boards placed around the one-way system.

An early alarm call enabled me to deal with all of those items in plenty of time for me to get over to Eccleshall to meet Antony Lucas to set up our stall in the Food Hall at the annual Eccleshall Show. The Food and Drink Festival has taken a stall at several shows this year to promote the Festival and very successful it has been indeed. I left Antony, who was to be joined by Tim O'Malley later, promising to be back as soon as possible.

Back at home my dear wife Janet had just finished packing her suitcase ready for her one week holiday in Slovenia. This was booked about nine month ago so she's had time enough to be ready. But no! She's spent the last week writing lists for me and preparing meals which are sitting in the freezer ready to be heated up! She seems to be of the opinion that, left to my own devices, I'd spend the entire week in the pub eating nothing but crisps, nuts, pork scratchings or fish and chips! I ask you.!

Anyway eventually we managed to leave in time to go up to Manchester Airport picking up a friend on the way. We arrived in plenty of time. After they crossed over to the terminal building I sat in the car expecting her to turn and blow me a kiss as she went through the Departures door but no. The two of them were already nattering away to each other!

So back to Eccleshall Show where I spent the rest of the afternoon handing out programmes and leaflets. We received a very positive response. The programme had obviously been delivered to homes in Eccleshall last week so a lot of the locals were eager to chat. I did find a little time to have a quick look around the show and I was very impressed indeed. Another example, like the Canwell Show, of a very successful local one day show.

Rather wearily, we packed up at the end of the afternoon and I returned to Stone to deal with the A boards. I was so grateful that a very good friend of the town (I won't embarrass him by naming him) had already collected them up, so all I had to do was put them back into storage.

So I did manage to deal with Stone Farmers' Market, the Eccleshall Show and still get Janet to the airport in time!

And, because I deserved it, after a hot bath to ease the muscles, I went down to the pub for a few pints and a bag of crisps! You won't tell Janet, will you?

No comments: