Friday 16 September 2011

So that was "consultation", was it?

Last night I popped along to the Station to have a look at Network Rail's consultion exercise about the foot crossings across the lines near the Station. I wonder why I bothered.

A few pieces of paper stuck up on the walls, half a dozen Network Rail stooges and a questionnaire to be completed. Reassuringly, all the plans on the walls seemed to indicate the erection of footbridges over both sets of lines next to the Station but, on questioning one of the men in suits, it transpires that this is only one of several options being considered. I'm still not convinced that closing the footpath to Mount Road isn't top of their wish list.

Frankly, in my view, the whole thing was a waste of my time. I tried to find out what all the options were but it was worse than pulling teeth. And I got the distinct impression that the proposal to build a ramped footbridge over the line at Whitebridge Lane was back in the melting pot.

Interestingly, the whole lot was usurped by an objector’s poster which contained more facts, photographs and information than all of Network Rail’s put together!

I suspect we all know what the next instalment will be, don’t we? Network Rail will say that “after full public consultation we have decided to do….”  What a nonsense!

No comments: